TIPS to Manage Humidity from SERVPRO of Burlington East
If you have humidity problem and suspect an issue with mould or dampness SERVPRO of Burlington East is here to help. Call us TODAY at 289-313-8888
Our summers seem to be getting hotter! Excessive humidity can get trapped in your home and affect your comfort, your health and your property. Too much home humidity can create a breeding ground for mould and bacteria that can decrease air quality, aggravating allergy or asthma symptoms. Excessive moisture in the air can also be the source of problems with your home’s furnishings and even cause structural damage.
Tips for Managing Home Humidity
- Keep windows and doors closed and use the air conditioning system
- Fix leaky pipes and faucets
- Keep surface areas dry
- Use ceiling fans to help with air circulation
- Air dry clothes or make sure dryer is vented outdoors
- Weather-strip doors and windows
- Use your outdoor BBQ
- Keep interior doors open to increase ventilation
- Use bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans
- Use a dehumidifier to keep relative humidity between 30-50% (below 60% in Summer)
If you have humidity problem and suspect an issue with mould or dampness SERVPRO of Burlington East Professionals are here to help. Call us TODAY at 289-313-8888
Do You Have Dirty Ducts?
Improve your indoor air quality with duct cleaning
Improve your indoor air quality with duct cleaning
Did you know your ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality? In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
A routine part of SERVPRO® of Burlington East’s professional service is inspecting the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping the HVAC and ductwork clean can potentially extend the lifespan of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may help save you money. Duct cleaning may not always be necessary.
In some circumstances, such as after a fire, smoke or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, SERVPRO® of Burlington East can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
If you have a fuel-burning furnace, stove or fireplace, it is recommended they be inspected for proper functioning and be serviced before each heating season to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning.
The SERVPRO® Duct Cleaning System is proven and cost-efficient. Unlike most duct cleaning services, SERVPRO® of Burlington East uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
- The process begins by using patented equipment, including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of the particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- As an optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information on duct cleaning, or to schedule an appointment, call SERVPRO® of Burlington East today at 289-313-8888.
HOARDING: A SERIOUS SITUATION
Hoarding can be very dangerous in the event of a fire or flood
According to The Mayo Clinic, “Hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them. A person with hoarding disorder experiences distress at the thought of getting rid of the items. Excessive accumulation of items, regardless of actual value, occurs.” Many people with hoarding disorder do not find their habits to be a problem.
Hoarded items are often things others would throw away or look at as junk or garbage such as old newspapers, junk mail, or packaging.
Hoarding can lead to homes filled with extreme clutter to full capacity from years of accumulation, making living conditions unsanitary and crowded. Bugs, fleas, rats, and other vermin may be present, at which point an exterminator would need to be called. At times, hoarding may spread to outside the home as well, to storage facilities, or even the garage or yard.
SERVPRO® of Burlington East encounters hoarding situations several different ways. Often, we are called for a fire or water loss and find a hoarding situation when we arrive on-site. A SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professional will communicate with the insurance company regarding your contents coverage, and after approval, contents can be packed out and possibly cleaned, dried, and stored by SERVPRO® of Burlington East or relocated to a storage facility so work on the fire or water loss can begin.
Another way we encounter hoarding jobs is through calls from landlords, case workers, real estate agents, or family members, often after the death of a loved one. In these situations, our crew will see if they should look for any items of importance while they clean the job. Sometimes, family members will come and try to help the hoarder sort through their contents as well.
Each case is very different, and hoarding jobs are often sensitive situations, but SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals are here to help you make it “Like it never even happened.” If you encounter a hoarding situation at one of your properties or with your insureds, call us TODAY 289-313-8888!
Burlington & Area 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Burlington East provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in the Burlington and surrounding area.
SERVPRO of Burlington East is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today – 289-313-8888
SERVPRO of Burlington East understands that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Burlington East has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. SERVPRO of Burlington East specializes in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, SERVPRO of Burlington East will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Burlington East
SERVPRO of Burlington East specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
The Importance of Cleaning Dryer Vents
Dryer Safety Tips. Source CBC News
Home dryer fires can cost million of dollars in property loss and can even cause injury or death. To reduce the risk of these fires happening in your home, SERVPRO® of Burlington East can help clean dryer vents and ducts that may have lint buildup. For more information on cleaning dryer vents, contact SERVPRO® of Burlington East today at 289-313-8888.
Clothes Dryer Safety Tips
A leading cause of dryer fires in homes is the lack of dryer maintenance. Homeowners are reminded to take the following precautions:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the safe use of the dryer.
- Inspect and clean the lint screen after each load of laundry. The build-up of lint can lead to a fire. Regularly remove lint from metal ducts and exhaust vents. The inside of the dryer cabinet should be cleaned as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Regularly inspect the air exhaust to ensure it is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is operating.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
- Keep the area around the dryer clear of items that can burn.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home if using a natural gas or propane dryer.
- Ensure there are working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas.
- Overload the dryer.
- Exhaust the dryer indoors.
- Dry materials or fabrics that have been saturated by chemicals, oils or gasoline (e.g. mops and towels and cloths saturated with wax, flammable solvents or vegetable oils). Even after washing, these substances can start a fire during the drying cycle.
- Dry natural or synthetic rubber, rubber-coated sneakers, galoshes, foam pillows or any garment with foam padding (e.g. blouses with shoulder pads, bras, bicycle shorts)
- Dry garments that have been cleaned with dry-cleaning fluid.
- Use a dryer without a lint filter, or with a lint filter that is loose, damaged or clogged.
Source: Ontario Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services
SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances.
SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances.
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals also offer fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to federal and local health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals can help with the following issues:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
Contact SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals Today at 289-313-8888
Smoke alarms can save lives when properly installed and maintained
Check your smoke alarms regularly to ensure they are working!
Smoke alarms can save lives when properly installed and maintained.
- In homes, smoke alarms should be in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level, including the basement.
- Extra smoke alarms may be needed in large homes.
- Test smoke alarms monthly using the test button.
- Smoke alarms with non-replaceable batteries need the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years.
- Other alarms need batteries replaced every year and the unit replaced every ten years.
- If the alarm chirps signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or the batteries immediately.
- Never disable or remove the battery from an alarm.
- Many fires where smoke alarms were present but did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries.
- If you need help installing, testing or changing batteries in your smoke alarms, contact your local fire department or a licenced electrician.
- Be sure your home has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills with your family.
Have Questions About Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Today – (289) 313-8888
PREPARING FOR A FLOOD
Call the cleanup team that is faster to any size disaster!
You may not have experienced a flood but that doesn't mean you won't in the future. When catastrophic water damage happens to you, SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals can help. We can help you prepare ahead of time with an Emergency Ready Profile® (ERP) or respond to any size disaster to begin cleanup and restoration to get you back in your home as soon as possible. SERVPRO® of Burlington East Professionals are ready to help make it "Like it never even happened."
PREPARING FOR A FLOOD
Below is a list of recommended emergency supplies to be packed and ready to go in the event of an evacuation due to flooding:
- Water—3+ day supply; two litres per person per day
- Food—3+ day supply of non-perishable, easy-to-prepare food, protein/energy bars
- Can opener
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio or a Weatheradio
- Extra batteries
- First Aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation/personal hygiene items
- Copies/digital photos of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, deed/lease to home, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Extra keys for your home and vehicles
- Map(s) of the area
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
- Tools/supplies for securing your home
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Camera/cell phone for photos of damage Flooding can happen fast in many environments
Have a flooded basement or water damage? Call SERVPRO of Burlington East at 289-313-8888. We operate 24/7/365 - 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.
Be prepared with the help of Technology!
Use technology to prepare for an emergency or disaster right at your finger tips!
Technology is a great tool to help prepare for emergencies or disasters, as well as a great way to stay informed of the situation and in communication with others. The following tips will help you be ready in the event of an emergency or disaster.
Store Information Online
There are many online services that offer free ways to store different types of files, from photos to images of important documents. It’s a good idea to save an electronic version of insurance policies, identification documents, medical records, and even information on your pets.
Follow the News
Stay informed by following local news channels and community groups online. You can also sign up for free electronic alerts to the most up-to-date information in a disaster situation.
Mark Yourself Safe
There are many organizations and social media platforms that offer ways to list yourself as safe or find family and friends in situations where communication is difficult to establish. Facebook also has a feature called Safety Check that is activated after natural disasters or a crisis. You will receive a notification from Facebook if you’re located in the affected area at that time.
Keep in Touch
Make sure your contact information is up-to-date in your phone and e-mail for communication with family, friends, business contacts, and others whom you may need to get in contact with before, during, or after an emergency or disaster.
Keep a portable charger in your car and home in case of an emergency. You can also buy solar-powered chargers.
Get an Emergency READY Profile®
SERVPRO® of Burlington East offers Emergency READY Profiles® (ERP) for free to help prepare your business for an emergency. By developing a SERVPRO® of Burlington East Emergency READY Profile® for your business, you can minimize interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Contact us today at 289-313-8888 for more information on developing an ERP for your business, and SERVPRO® of Burlington East will be there to help make it “Like it never even happened®.”
Burlington & Surrounding Area Smoke and Soot Cleanup
What you can do until help arrives
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Burlington East will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 289-313-8888