Recent Fire Damage Posts

Burlington & Surrounding Area Smoke and Soot Cleanup

2/18/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Burlington & Surrounding Area Smoke and Soot Cleanup What you can do until help arrives

Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.  

Smoke and soot facts:

  • Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
  • The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.

Different Types of Smoke

There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Burlington East will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:

Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. 

Our Fire Damage Restoration Services

Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions.  We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.  We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.

Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 289-313-8888

Christmas Fire Safety

11/28/2018 (Permalink)

Christmas Tree Safety Tips

  • When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label "Fire Resistant." Although this label does not mean the tree won't catch fire, it does indicate the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
  • When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness. A fresh tree is green; needles are hard to pull from branches and when bent between your fingers, needles do not break. The trunk butt of a fresh tree is sticky with resin, and when tapped on the ground, the tree should not lose many needles.
  • When setting up a tree at home, place it away from fireplaces and radiators. Because heated rooms dry live trees out rapidly, be sure to keep the stand filled with water. Place the tree out of the way of foot traffic and do not block doorways.
  • Tree disposal after the holidays: When you’re ready to get rid of your tree, please do not burn it in the fireplace or wood stove. The rapid burning and excessive heat can damage the firebox and chimney creating a serious fire hazard. Instead, find out from your municipality the day when trees will be picked at your curbside. Many municipalities recycle Christmas trees into mulch.

Lights & Electrical

  • Indoors or outside, always use CSA approved lights.  Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets.
  • Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
  • Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
  • Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house walls, or other firm supports to protect the lights from wind damage. Use only insulated staples, not nails or tacks, to hold strings in place. Or, run strings of lights through hooks (available at hardware stores).
  • Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house. The lights could short out and start a fire.
  • For added electric-shock protection, plug outdoor electric lights and decorations into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Portable outdoor GFCIs can be purchased where electrical supplies are sold. GFCIs can be installed permanently to household circuits by a qualified electrician.

*Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs

What To Do Until Help Arrives, Emergency Tips For Your Burlington Home!

11/14/2018 (Permalink)

What To Do Until Help Arrives, Emergency Tips For Your Burlington Home!

These emergency tips will assist you in taking the proper action for Fire & Smoke damage until SERVPRO of Burlington East arrives!

Fire & Smoke Damage

DO:

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
  • Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place dry, colourfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
  • Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant
  • If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
  • Change HVAC filter, and leave system off until a trained professional can check the system
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth (Cheesecloth is a cotton cloth that is loosely woven and resembles gauze. It comes in seven grades, from open to extra-fine weave), over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system

DON’T: 

  • Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without contacting SERVPRO of Burlington East
  • Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Burlington East
  • Attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service which SERVPRO of Burlington East can provide you with
  • Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may have been contaminated)
  • Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage
  • Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor

Please, if you have any questions about fire and smoke damage, do not hesitate to call us. When can answer any questions and/or come to your place to look at the damages.

Call SERVPRO of Burlington East today at (289) 313-8888